My 20-year-old son was hosting a Christmas party yesterday. That meant two things — my house was clean AND I had to stay out of his way! While the day began with good intentions for me to clean my office and get caught up on my accounting, by dinner time I was done. I needed to sew!
I pulled out some greens from my stash and my Tri Recs ruler set. I used the maximum size (6.5″) to make the trees. For the next step, I will add 1″ by 1″ trunks.
I’m not sure where this project will go next. I’m thinking it will be a wall hanging for above our bed, which means I’ll probably use 8 trees for the width and 4 trees for the height. This will be a fun project for over the holidays and shouldn’t take me too long to finish.
This was an easy and fun quilt. (Just like they’re all supposed to be!) And it was made entirely from my stash.
I had a jelly roll of Moda Christmas fabric and a jelly roll of Kona winter white cotton. I sewed a strip of Christmas fabric to a strip of white, then cut them into 2.5 inch pieces.
Because the colors were so random, I knew that it would take me forever to design the quilt. So I threw all of the pieces into a pillowcase and pulled them out one at a time. I sewed the 2-patches into 4-patches and threw the completed 4-patches back into the pillowcase. I kept sewing patches together until the quilt was finished. As a result, the design of the quilt was totally random. I used white thread and quilted it in a simple meandering pattern.
Overall I think the quilt looks beautiful and has a very fresh and youthful design. And I loved that I didn’t stress over the design!
I made this quilt as an entry for QuiltCon 2015. (It was not accepted, so don’t look for it in Austin!) The quilt was made for the minimalist design category.
I made it over two days using 2.5 inch black and white strips from my stash. It took quite a bit of planning to make the black blocks symmetrical and I admit that I called on my engineer husband for technical support.
This was my first time doing a circle quilt and it was really fun. I used pre-made bias binding to make binding easier. The quilt is 29″ in diameter. I did use two layers of batting and the black parts are actually trapunto.
Let’s just say that I had a great time creating this quilt (pardon the pun!).