I want to sell more quilts and need to make more than $2.50 an hour on each project. As a result, I’ve been timing my quilting and it’s been very instructive. Here’s the first quilt that I made that was timed.
It took me 14 hours! It may not look difficult, but it involved fussy cutting the dragon fabric, as well as making 24 half-square triangles. That added up to a lot of time. Half square triangles require cutting out 3″ squares, making diagonal markings, sewing 1/4″ away from each marking, cutting the block in half, and trimming it. Although the result is pretty nice, I’m wondering if the average non-quilter would appreciate the work involved in this picture frame block.
I’m experimenting with a new pattern that just uses square blocks. I’ll post it when I get it done.
Three of my 14 hours were spent binding. Much of that is hand stitching the binding to the quilt. On my next project, I will sew the binding to the back and machine stitch it to the front. I doubt anyone will know the difference and it will actually be stronger.
Speaking of binding, I decided to bind the quilt in the same flannel I used for the back. Not recommended! The flannel is thicker and harder to work with. I know that you can purchase pre-cut bias binding for about $1.00 a foot and I think I’ll try this for a future quilt. Here’s a source for pre-cut bias binding:
By the way, my 17-year-old son loves this quilt. He doesn’t normally like anything I make, so I consider that a huge compliment. Here’s a close-up of one of the blocks.