This was a fun 8.5 x 11″ quilt. I started without any project in mind … just a piece of blue fabric I liked and some green thread. It was fun to see what developed as it turned into a face with a threadpainted main of hair.
This was primarily a study to see how I could do with managing to stabilize fabric without using a hoop. I find hoops annoying because you can only work on a small area at a time. I made a fabric sandwich in this order:
1. Super Solvy Water Soluble Stabilizer
2. Blue Fabric
3. Heat ‘n Bond Lite (Sewable Permanent Adhesive)
4. 100% wool batting
5. Heat ‘n Bond Lite
7. Super Solvy Water Soluble Stabilizer
Yes, the preparation took a little while. I ironed the Heat-n-Bond onto the fabric and also used Sulky KK2000 temporary spray adhesive to help glue everything together. I used safety pins around the outside to help hold everything together. My original piece was probably 13 x 15″ or so, which I cut down when I was finished.
I had never used the Heat-n-Bond before and it seemed to work very well.
I must also make a formal apology to Sulky for my previous trashing of their Super Solvy product. I’d used it once before and HATED it. It was after a class. We’d made butterflies on a hoop, and I was finishing the project in a hotel room. I know I hadn’t read the instructions … but I’d tried to remove the Solvy by running it under the tap (warm water, I recall) and it was a gucky mess. I vowed never to use it again.
When I went to Joann’s, the Sulky product was the only one available, so I decided to give it another try. This time I read the directions. You soak your project in COLD water for 5 to 10 minutes. The stabilizer completely disappeared. There was no guck or mess at all. I was extremely pleased. So I’m now a Super Solvy Water Soluble Stabilizer fan (say that three times fast!).
This was a great project. I feel like I can move ahead now, knowing that I have a good method to stabilize and to thread paint. I really just sitting at my machine and seeing what happens!